Hello readers! I've missed writing to you all. In the midst of living and soaking up a plethora of opportunities that life has bestowed upon me, I thought I'd take a moment, reflect, and enjoy some personal writing. As we look on our calendars, it's hitting us that 2013 is coming to a close and before we can unwrap presents & drink champagne to send off the year, we have to gather around the table and indulge. That's right, it's Thanksgiving! Can you believe that it's turkey time yet again? Let the warm and fuzzy feelings commence! Now, let's get to the nature of this post. Last year, I decided to forgo a "Top 10" list and stick to one long post. Well, I'm bringing the list back. But, instead of 10 things I'm grateful for, it'll be 5. So, let's jump right in, the Top 5 things I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving are:
5. Sports - 2013 has been a trying year for me, in all capacities, and oddly enough, it's been sports that has provided a form of escapism. From the Yankees and there never-ending saga of triumph/defeat to the All Star Game turning rivals into friends for 3 hours to Duke basketball showing promise with the emergence of Jabari Parker, sports has allowed me to center and gather my thoughts while playing coach and GM to the masses. Thank you, guys!
4. Meaningful Friendships - The saying goes, "friends come into your for a season and/or reason" and this year, I've made friends who will surely be in a presence for many seasons to come and I've kept friends whose value continues to climb. It has been through their laughter, listening ears, and increasing optimism that has made an impact on my life. When old friendships and new friendships collide, there is no force that can break our bonds.
3. Childlike Spirit - There's nothing greater than watching the same Looney Tunes episode of Bugs Bunny giving Gossamer a makeover while saying in a Brooklyn Italian accent, "You monsters make very inter-esting people" and cracking up as if it's the first time it's crossed your path. When everything seems to be caving in, flipping to Cartoon Network and watching Adventure Time is the remedy. If cartoons can find silver linings, so can we!
2. Wisdom- I've seen a lot and have encountered life changing moments and while the majority of what transpired was due in part to what I call"mistakes", I've come to define them as unnecessary/necessary events. What made them unnecessary was their timing but, what made them essential was that I was able to see past the event and analyze it for what it really was. For me it's truly been about the "take-home" message.
1. In A Nutshell, Everything - No matter if it's compiled into a list, simple message, or holiday greeting, I give reverence to an all encompassing year. Trying or abundantly blessed, I'm grateful for everyone and everything in my life.
Well folks, that's my list. It is my hope that you use this Thanksgiving to reflect on what your heart sings and what has awakened your spirit. Stuff your faces and be merry!